Chili is often loaded with meat, loads of cheese and other heavy ingredients.
Vegetarian Chili can be super tasty, healthy and an easy to prepare family favorite for busy weeknights.
Make this meal as spicy or mild as you wish by adjusting the amount of hot peppers and seeds you add.
I love knowing this meal can be used in a variety of ways as leftovers; as a warm soup on its own, enjoyed with a big green salad, as a topping for organic corn chip nachos my son loves for after-school snack, strained and used as whole grain or gluten-free burrito filling, over brown or cauliflower rice, topped with homemade guac… the possibilities are endless & delicious!
Start with 1 cup dry black beans & 1 cup dry kidney beans. Place into a dish overnight to soak beans, covering with water.
Next morning, drain and rinse, and you’re ready to prep your chili!
Drained/soaked black and kidney beans (2 cups total)
1 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 Jalapeño pepper, chopped, seeds included
1 Cherry Bomb or Cayenne pepper (or any hot pepper of your choice), chopped, seeds included
16 oz organic vegetable broth
1 red pepper, chopped
1 orange pepper, chopped
1 yellow pepper, chopped
16 oz Pomi tomato sauce
1 box (26 oz) Pomi chopped tomatoes
1 Tbsp cumin
1 Tbsp chipotle spice
2 tsp cracked red pepper flakes
2 tsp honey
pinch cinnamon (optional)
Sea salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
Juice of one lime
- Wash all vegetables well.
- Peel and chop onion.
- Smash, peel and chop garlic.
- Remove stem then chop jalapeño and other chili peppers, adding seeds to pot as well for more spice. Limit or remove seeds to make a more mild chili.
- Remove stem and seeds from red, orange and yellow pepper, then chop.
- Add beans to slow cooker pot, then add vegetables.
- Next, add liquids to pot, followed by spices.
- Set to high heat for 6 hours, checking periodically and adding more broth as needed (or water)
- Taste and adjust spices as needed, going slowly.
- Serve over brown rice, quinoa, cauliflower rice as desired.
- Optional: Top with organic cheese, sour cream, avocado slices, guacamole or even salsa for more spiciness!
- Enjoy!!! Freeze leftovers for fast weeknight meals.