Slow-cooker meals, are not as time consuming as the name implies.
We’ve shared two simple recipes that can be set to cook overnight. Wake up to lunches for the week or dinner for 5.
The active cooking time for the Simple Chicken Taco Soup recipe is less than 30 minutes total!
The active cooking time for the Chickpea Chili is longer as the ingredients are all-fresh and require prep.
Simple Chicken Taco Soup
Yield: Approximately five portions
2, 16 oz beans of your choice (I usually go with black beans and pinto beans)
1 jar of salsa
2, 10 oz BPA-free cans of diced tomatoes (I like to use Pomi, boxed tomatoes)
3 whole skinless, boneless chicken breasts (choose free-range, organic when possible)
Salt and pepper to taste
- Rinse the beans in a strainer.
- Add all ingredients to slow-cooker and set to low heat and cover.
- Cook for 6-8 hours.
- Remove and store in a glass container once cooled.
This is the simplified version.
- If you have more time, add chopped onions, chopped carrots and corn for more flavors.
- Shred the chicken after cooking for more even texture.
- Use fresh substitutes when possible: diced tomatoes instead of canned; homemade salsa instead of jarred.
- Serve with fresh cilantro and avocado for more color and texture.
Yield: Approximately 6 servings
1 cup dried chickpeas
1 cup quinoa
2 large yellow onions, chopped yellow onions (about 3 large)
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 tbsp tomato paste
¼ cup raisins
4 large, Roma tomatoes, diced
1 sweet potato, peeled and diced
3 large carrots, peeled and diced
1 tbsp dried turmeric spice
¼ tsp black pepper
1 tbsp red pepper
½ tsp paprika
½ tsp salt
- Cook chickpeas with 2 cups of water for 1 hour.
- Drain and rinse.
- Sautee the onions and garlic until lightly caramelized.
- Rinse quinoa.
- Add all ingredients to slow cooker and cover with at least 4 cups of water.
- Cook on low heat for 6-8 hours.
As with the first recipe, use fresh when possible (as listed), but canned will do as well.
If using canned beans instead, choose BPA-free, reduce the water to 2 cups and only rinse prior to adding to slow-cooker.