This past Friday I was craving some home cooked pizza for my movie night. Having a head of cauliflower in the fridge, I thought why not get creative? Cauliflower is a cruciferous vegetable that has anti-cancer properties and is great for detoxifying the body and helping support a healthy digestive system. This recipe is gluten-free, grain-free, and so delicious even your kids and friends will be shocked! Go on, indulge in pizza and leave the table guilt free!
1/2 large head of cauliflower
3 Tbs Fresh mix of herbs oregano,thyme, and rosemary (chop into very fine pieces)
1/4 Cup Fresh Grated Parmesan cheese
2 Garlic Cloves (minced)
*Optional Crushed Red Pepper
3 Tbs flour (*optional if mix is too watery)
Optional Pizza Toppings:
5 Large Basil Leaves
1 heirloom tomato (thinly sliced)
1/4 Yellow Onion
3-5 Spinach Leaves
- Preheat oven to 450 and put a pizza stone or baking sheet in the oven while it gets hot.
- Wash and dry a small head of cauliflower. Cut off the florets and pulse in a food processor about 30 seconds. Process until you get a light fluffy “snow like” texture and you should end with about 2-3 cups of your “cauliflower – snow”. If you don’t have a food processor, you can chop florets many times until you get fine crumbles (food processor will be best to ensure consistency)
- Put cauliflower in a microwave safe bowl and cook for 4 minutes. Dump onto a clean towel and allow it to cool until you wrap it up in the towel and wring out all the water. *This step is very important, if you don’t wring out all the water you will get a crumbly crust.
- Dump the squeezed cauliflower in a large bowl and add cheese,spices and herbs. Then add egg. Add the 2-3 Tbs Flour if you didn’t add enough cauliflower and mix is too watery.
- Use your hands to form the dough into a small ball and then spread out on parchment paper. Pat thoroughly to form together in uniform thickness and shape.
- Slide parchment paper onto hot pizza stone or baking sheet (that has been in the hot oven).
- Bake for about 12-20 minutes or until the top starts to turn a golden brown and remove from oven.
- Add remaining toppings or mix up your own combination of veggies and adding a sprinkle of freshly grated parmesan cheese to your liking.
Cook time: 20 minutes
Prep time: 15 minutes